AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Repeat Left Heart Cath

Charleston, WV

Default Repeat Left Heart Cath

AAPC: Back to School
    We have a patient that our doctor did a lhc on Tuesday Oct 12th which has already been billed. DX was normal cause of chest pain unknown. Because patient is continuing to have chest pain of a severe level the same doctor did another lhc this morning to evulate the cause of pain. My question is can we rebill that procedure? I was thinking of using the modifier of "return to the operating table" however because this is a diagonstic procedure I'm not sure that it would apply. Does anyone had this situation in the past? Any suggestions on how to bill it?

Jessica Chandler CPC, CPC-H, CPC-P, CCC
    Charleston, WV[/COLOR]

Green Bay

I wouldn't put any modifiers on the cath for "return to OR" as caths have a 0 day global.

I would just bill the cath codes as is.

Jessica CPC, CCC

Yes it is billable as long as there is medical necessity which if there is ie recurrent chest pain. I would just go ahead and bill the second heart catheter without a modifier. The 76 and 77 mods are for repeat procedure on the same day. It should get paid ok and if it doesnt appeal and send the reports.

Similar Threads

1. Left Heart Cath - femoral artery
    By Dgiannetto in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2015, 09:48 AM
  2. left heart cath
    By sheri_hall2000@yahoo.com in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 09:31 AM
  3. Left heart cath w/ left ventriculogram
    By cardiology101 in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 3