The DME was dispensed in the office but you report the POS where the beneficiary will primarily use the DME.
Q11 My claim denied CO-58 (Payment adjusted because treatment was deemed by the payer to have been rendered in an inappropriate or invalid place of service). The beneficiary received the equipment in our office. Did this deny in error?
A11 No. Place of service (POS) 11 – Office is not a valid POS for DMEPOS items. For claims submitted to the DME MAC, the place of service is considered to be the place where the beneficiary will primarily use the DMEPOS item. The following is a list of valid POS codes for submission to the DME MAC:
04 Homeless Shelter
09 Prison/Correctional Facility
13 Assisted Living Facility
14 Group Home
16 Temporary Lodging
33 Custodial Care Facility
54 Intermediate Care Facility/Mentally Retarded
55 Psychiatric Residential Treatment Center
65 End Stage Renal Disease Treatment Facility (valid POS for Parenteral Nutrition Therapy)
Coverage consideration for DMEPOS items in a Skilled Nursing Facility (31), unless the beneficiary is in a covered Part A stay, or a Nursing Facility (32) is also considered for certain types of equipment. Please refer to the DME MAC Jurisdiction C Supplier Manual, Chapter 6, for a complete list of these items, as well as additional information regarding place of service
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join