Non Chemo Infusions

1. Default Non Chemo Infusions
    Medical Coding Books
    We have a descrepancy on how to bill! We do mini infusions very rarely go over 1 hr.
    The nurse hangs a back of saline and then hangs her 1 med. Very seldom do they hang bags. After s hort period of time she injects meds into the port. she may inject 2-3 diffetent meds. So do we bill:
    96360 Initial hour
    Initial drug infused
    Second drug infused
    96374 IV initial push (1 unit)
    Drug for initial
    96375 Sub pushes each (3 units)
    Drug !
    Drug 2
    Drug 3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ahager View Post
    We have a descrepancy on how to bill! We do mini infusions very rarely go over 1 hr.
    The nurse hangs a back of saline and then hangs her 1 med. Very seldom do they hang bags. After s hort period of time she injects meds into the port. she may inject 2-3 diffetent meds. So do we bill:
    96360 Initial hour
    Initial drug infused
    Second drug infused
    96374 IV initial push (1 unit)
    Drug for initial
    96375 Sub pushes each (3 units)
    Drug !
    Drug 2
    Drug 3

Thanks
    When you say Nurse hangs bag of Saline and then Hangs her 1 drug,
    she is running them at the same time Correct?

If so , you need to charge for the Drug not Hydration which would be
    96365 which is initial up to one hour over 31 mins.

96375 x 3 would be correct for the 1st push

If i'm wrong about this, please someone feel free to correct thanks

I do not have my books with me but... you would not charge hydration when the purpose of the saline is just a facilitator. Also remember you cannot charge more than 1 initial service for any one patient. So you can have initial IV infusion (not hydration) with subsequent pushes. I do not recall if there is a code for IV piggyback but if there is then that code would go first. I hope this helps.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    I do not have my books with me but... you would not charge hydration when the purpose of the saline is just a facilitator. Also remember you cannot charge more than 1 initial service for any one patient. So you can have initial IV infusion (not hydration) with subsequent pushes. I do not recall if there is a code for IV piggyback but if there is then that code would go first. I hope this helps.
    Debra, i'm glad to see the rule about hydration running at the same time is still the same. I had wondered if that had changed in the last year or not !.
    Piggy Backs are still on the time basis. Its when they run over 10 hrs, that i belive they are automaticly turned into a Pump Code, which i cant remmember off the top of my Head at the moment !