AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Psych Coding

Greater Atlanta

Default Psych Coding

AAPC: Back to School
    I think that I am suppose to use the following e/m codes:

Office or other outpatient facility(90804-90815) and
    Inpatient hospital, Partial Hospital or Residental Care Facility (90816-90829)

I think that I am getting the office psychotherapy (90804-90815) code confused with using the 99211-99215 and 99201-99205 codes.

Even if the doctor documents a hx, exam, and mdm for an est office does this mean that I look at the 99211-9915 code?

Which codes do I use for a follow up patient thats in the nursing home or come into an office setting?
    Inpt & Outpt Coder

Louisville, KY

The psych codes are determined by what type of service is rendered by the provider. Too often, we try and "instant-code" services (like on a charge slip). Psych services are best abstracted from the records.

In these "follow-ups" explain what type of service is being rendered to the patient. The setting from which the patient presents does not necessarily have impact; it's where the service is rendered and what is done for the patient.

Also, be sure you include the provider type supplying the service.
    Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

It sometimes depends on the purpose of the service.

If the documentation has a therapeutic intervention i.e., insight oriented, behavioral modifying or supportive therapy elements I would use psych codes.

Since MD's can use both, If they do not indicate any therapeutic elements in their documentation I would give them an E & M service.

Hope that helps a little .

Barren River Area

Do these services have to be performed by a psychiatrist or can and Psych NP bill for this? The description just says clinician.

How do you bill group therapy sessions? The therapist is marking 90853 for 60 minutes. How would you bill a session that is 1.5 hours or 2.25 hours. Thanks::

90853 or group therapy is a servcie regardless of how long it is. The "typical amount of time is 60 minutes".