AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Postmenopausal bleeding vs. bleeding in someone that's postmenopausal

Stuart, Florida

Question Postmenopausal bleeding vs. bleeding in someone that's postmenopausal

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a patient that the doctor documented "Postmenopausal bleeding secondary to uterine fibroids, being followed by gynecologist" for.

I feel like 627.1 is not the correct code selection to make for this case because, though 627.1 is for postmenopausal bleeding, the bleeding is being caused by the fibroids. I feel like 'postmenopausal' is more of a side note to "bleeding secondary to uterine fibroids".

ANYWAY, I was wondering if 626.6 might be more appropriate for this case. I pulled up this information about code 626.6, which is for Metrorrhagia, but I'm still not 100% certain.

Agree? Disagree? Does anyone have a better suggestion? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

Post menopausal bleeding and bleeding in some one that's postmenopausal both same category- disorders in postmenopausal(already attained menopause) women there are various causes for the postmenopausal -any bleeding/or spotting that comes out of the female genital tract of a post-menopausal is categorized into that.
    Bleeding could happen even in women undergone hysterectomy
    The causes may be different, atrophic/senile vaginitis, traumatic, drug (hormonal0induced,cervical pathology, or any uterine pathology as your case under discussion- A post menopausal women who has already a fibroid uterus now in her postmenopausal shows up with bleeding- ie the presence of a fibroid, could be an etiology for the bleeding in this postmenopausal women. This could be a change over towards malignancy, / or ovarian pathology/or if on hormones (even HRT) that could be a cause for the fibroid to go for changes and bleed.

626.6 Metrorrhagia- is for women of the reproductive phase who are in the phases of Menstruation/ menstrual cycles; but the bleeding is not related to the menstrual cycles she normally gets every month.- meaning it occurs anytime during the interval between two cycles. It is not applicable for postmenopausal women
    So 627.1 could be the primary code with uterine pathology code (fibroid )in addition to support that there is an underlying pathology for the bleeding.
    Am I clear in my language!!
    Last edited by preserene; 10-21-2010 at 03:30 PM.