Most of the procedures perfromed in the ED such as Lac Repairs, I&Ds etc are minor procedures. Minor procedures are usually defined by 10 or less global surgery days. I haven't seen anything in a long time indicating that an E&M cannot be coded with minor procedures. And since most patients in the ED are new to the physician a work up is required in addtion to the procedure. Most payers require a 25 modifier with the E&M.
Years ago there was language in the CPT and an odd code that was to be used with minor procedures. I think that has been out of the CPT since the 90s. But that might be the source of some of the confusion.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join