Epidural/Spinal for Labor/Delivery

Default Epidural/Spinal for Labor/Delivery
    Medical Coding Books
    Trying to make heads or tails out of these codes - can someone please help! My anesthesiologist did an Epidural on one patient and wants me to use 01960. I think it should be 01967. Can someone explain the difference between the codes and which to use?

Also, what is the difference between an Epidural and a Spinal? And what would be the codes for Labor? How about a Spinal done for a patient for a repeat cesarean?

Any help would be appreciated - I need all I can get!

Thanks,
    Jodi Dibble, CPC

jdibble,

ASA code 01960 = anesthesia for vaginal delivery only
    ASA code 01967 = anesthesia for labor AND planned vaginal delivery
    I can't tell you which code is most appropriate as it would depend the documentation.

A spinal is an injection into the subarachnoid space. An epidural is an injection and/or catheter placement into the epidural space.

If you doctor places a spinal for the mode of anesthesia for a c-section (no labor) the ASA code is 01961.

Hope this helps.
    Julie D, CPC

Julie - thanks for the response. I guess I am just confused by the terminology on the codes. I was looking for a code stating spinal or epidural for a C-section, thinking that a code stating Anesthesia for C-Section only meant that the patient was put under only. So I guess what I am asking is that the codes for Anesthesia refer to both Epidural/Spinals and for knocking the patient out?

Thank you for explaining this to me - I am trying to train myself as I was given anesthesia to code without warning and my part-time coder has never done this either. We are both confused together!
    Jodi Dibble, CPC

The anesthesia codes for valid for all modes of anesthesia performed by an anesthesia provider.

Julie D, CPC

Thanks Julie!
    Jodi Dibble, CPC