knee arthroscopy

Default knee arthroscopy
    Medical Coding Books
    use some help with this one. I have a left knee & right knee arthroscopic procedure.

The left knee had a lateral menisectomy and also had debridement of chondral flaps of the femoral condyle in the medial compartment, although, the medial meniscus was probed and intact.

The right knee had chondral flaps debrided in the patellofemoral region and a medial menisectomy was also done.

I want to make sure that the codes and modifiers I choose are correct. I am going to use the 29881 for both because it is a medicaid patient so the chondroplasty would be included, correct? For the modifier, I am not sure if the bilateral modifier or the LT/RT modifier would be more appropriate. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

2. Default
    Did were the debridments done in the same compartment as the menisectomy? If the doc did a lateral menisectomy and a debridment in the medial or petella area you should code for them. And with anything CMS use the 50 modifer.

debridements were in different compartments, see previous posts, and the chondroplasties are included in the menisectomies (per this payer). What I needed to know was the proper modifiers to use. Thanks for your reply

Smile
    Depends on what your Medicaid allows as acceptable modifiers. In Missouri, there are only 5 modifers that Medicaid will recognize. Check on the State Medicaid website they should be able to let you know acceptable codes or if you have a contact person start there. In MO, 50 would be the one we would use. Hope this helps

I agree that it depends on Medicaid in your state on what modifier they prefer. Our Medicaid doesn't want RT/LT or 50 for bilateral procedures...they want it x 2 units.
    I'd call your Medicaid reps to verify....

I agree with calling. In PA they do not allow modifiers only units.
    jdemar, CPC, CMA

Thanks everyone for your help. I actually did end up going with the 2 units after all so thanks!!