Direct catheter into SFA - need help coding!

1. Default Direct catheter into SFA - need help coding!
    Medical Coding Books
    Not sure exacatly how to code this, please help.
    Catheter is directly placed into the left popliteal artery and angiography performed, revealing total distal SFA artery occlusioin. Guidewire introduced in a retrograde manner, the total occlusion is crossed with placement of the tip of the guidewire in the aorta. Catheter introduced and placed in the left proximal SFA with angiography. This catheterwas then placed in the left common femoral artery and angiography was performed again.

I want to code 36140 & 75710 for L pop, but what do I bill for the retrograde lower order SFA and common femoral? He going backwards and I'm confused on how to code this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Debbie H.

Quote Originally Posted by hencked View Post
    Not sure exacatly how to code this, please help.
    Catheter is directly placed into the left popliteal artery and angiography performed, revealing total distal SFA artery occlusioin. Guidewire introduced in a retrograde manner, the total occlusion is crossed with placement of the tip of the guidewire in the aorta. Catheter introduced and placed in the left proximal SFA with angiography. This catheterwas then placed in the left common femoral artery and angiography was performed again.

I want to code 36140 & 75710 for L pop, but what do I bill for the retrograde lower order SFA and common femoral? He going backwards and I'm confused on how to code this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Debbie H.
    Hi Debbie,

I would code for the catheter placement 36245, because the catheter went into the common femoral artery. Since the cath can go into common fem or deep femoral, that is when the catheter has gone selective, so that is my reasoning for coding 36245 (1st order). I would also bill 75710, since the extremity was imaged.

Hope that helps,
    Jim Pawloski, CIRCC

I agree with Jim.
    Catheter went up from popliteal to SFA first order 36245. Unilateral extrimity angiogram 75710.
    Trinia R, CPC,CIRCC

4. Default Thanks for direct SFA info
    Thanks for the help. This was confusing and I appreciate your answers!

Debbie H.