AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Ocular HTN vs PreGlaucoma

Sumter, SC

Default Ocular HTN vs PreGlaucoma

AAPC: Back to School
    If the provider states in his assessment Ocular HTN vs Pre-Glaucoma, do you code both? I am new to coding Optometry visits.

Minot ND

If the doctor is giving a "possible, probable or maybe" dx I don't code them. In this case the doctor is not sure if it's 365.04 or 365.00, so I wouldn't use either. I would go back to the doctor and ask if there is any symptoms that can be coded----increased ocular pressure, or large cupping of the disc???

'vs' means there is not a definitive diagnosis. Ocular hypertension (ICD-9 365.04) can be coded if there are at least two visits with IOP >21 mm Hg in same eye with no optic disc changes. Preglaucoma (ICD-9 365.00) cannot be coded unless there is a definitive diagnosis of 'preglaucoma' written on the encounter. If there is cupping of optic discs >0.6 C/D ratio, or there mention of 'borderline increased IOP', then you can use CPT 365.01. That is my opinion for what it's worth.

Similar Threads

1. HTN or HTN with heart disease
    By babyred72 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM
  2. Ocular Stroke
    By TAOSA in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 06:26 AM
  3. ocular conformer
    By phenderson in forum Ophthalmology/Optometry