Medicare does not recognize the consult codes, so that's out.
If the surgeon called in for the "2d opinion" is NOT in the same practice/same specialty as the operating surgeon, then Surgeon 2O can bill for his/her services. Choose the appropriate level E/M based on documentation. Remember NO consultation codes for Medicare patients.
If Surgeon 2O IS in the same practice/specialty as the operating surgeon, then this is part of the 90-day global period.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join