AAPC - Back to school

Thread: billing company charging % of income, is it legal?

Default billing company charging % of income, is it legal?

AAPC: Back to School

I have my own small medical billing service. One of my clients forwarded a letter on a lawyers letterhead which is supposedly from Dept of Health for State of NY, stating that "compensation arrangement based on percentage of revenues constitutes illegal fee splitting". Any billing services I know charge a percentage of collections. Not sure if this is legit or a law firm is looking for clients. Anyone?

Thanks, in advance, for any input.

Merrillville, IN

Talking I own small business too

And charge % of collections. Jus' had an event with Secretary of State on separate issue. But this was pointed out, and was NOT a concern in our state. I do not reside in NY, and they could have other laws. I would call your Secretary of State Attorney General office, ... and say you are researching for future endeavor, is this legit or acceptable.

Hope that helps,
    Sandra D.

Default thanks

thanks for your reply Sandra.

I have done some research on this for consulting purposes and what I have read billing companies may not be able to charge a percentage for billing out Medicaid claims. In some states you may have to charge a flat fee for all the Medicaid claims you submit. Hope that helps

Default Ny fee splitting

It is illegal to charge a precentage in the state of NY. IN NY LAW IT STATES IT IS FEE SPLITING AND NOT ALLOWED. Most states will allow you to charge a precentage but NY is not one of them. For instance in NJ you have to be certified with the Banking and Insurance Dept but they allow you to charge a precentage.

P.S. this became the rule over a year ago.

Hope this helps!