I seem to recall reading on this forum that CPT 44955 (appendectomy for indicated purpose performed at same time as other surgery) can be used with the primary procedure is either OPEN or LAPARASCOPIC.
Does anyone have a reference for this? I seem to recall it was posted previously, but I haven't found it and I need a quick response.
We had a baby who presented with intussusception (which was reduced via laparoscopy, so we're forced to use the unlisted lap code 44238 ... another story). When they looked inside, they also discovered an inflammed appendix, so an appy was done as well. I think we should also code 44955. But our billing office feels this can only be used with open procedures.
Thanks in advance
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join