Well, without seeing the actual documentation I cannot give you a definitive answer. But consider the following:
If it's a new patient you MAY be able to use time spent in counseling/coordination of care to achieve a 99201. (Please review all the posts about this before taking this option; there are strict documentation guidelines.)
If it's an existing patient:
99201 only needs a chief complaint
99202 needs a chief complaint, 1 element of HPI, and straightforward MDM
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join