Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: icd 9

  1. #1

    Default icd 9

    drawing a blank - would carotid artery disease be 43310? thank you.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arizona1 View Post
    drawing a blank - would carotid artery disease be 43310? thank you.
    Yes. Without knowing if it is single or bilateral/multiple vessels and without infarction, then yes it is 433.10. Hope this helps

  3. #3

    Default

    thanks was mixing up in my mind with coronary artery disease. thank you

  4. #4

    Default

    I would use 414.01, CAD NOS with no hx of coronary artery bypass procedure

  5. #5

    Smile Carotid artery disease

    How would you get to 433.10 using the alpha index for carotid artery disease? We need to code it for reimbursement but if provider doesn't say stenosis or occlusion, how do you get to 433.10? Thank you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    27

    Default Carotid Artery Disease Dx

    Quote Originally Posted by dct789@comcast.net View Post
    How would you get to 433.10 using the alpha index for carotid artery disease? We need to code it for reimbursement but if provider doesn't say stenosis or occlusion, how do you get to 433.10? Thank you.
    I wondered exactly the same thing. Anybody?

  7. #7

    Default

    If you go to Stenosis, then artery / carotid you'll be referred to 'see narrowing, artery, carotid' go there, and you'll find carotid 433.1x

    433.10 is for when the documentation states with occlusion or stenosis

    Without stenosis documented, you go to Disease, arterial, go down to specified type which is 447.8 'other specified disorders of arteries and arterioles'.

    Hope that helps!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coder_Rick View Post
    If you go to Stenosis, then artery / carotid you'll be referred to 'see narrowing, artery, carotid' go there, and you'll find carotid 433.1x

    433.10 is for when the documentation states with occlusion or stenosis

    Without stenosis documented, you go to Disease, arterial, go down to specified type which is 447.8 'other specified disorders of arteries and arterioles'.

    Hope that helps!
    447.8 is for fibromuscular hyperplasia of arteries, except renal. Since the code is not referring to fibromuscular hyperplasia. The better code 447.9 should be chosen as no specific description is present.

  9. #9

    Question

    Why would this be coded 433.10 without stenosis or occlusion being documented? Is there a coding clinic explaining this? Anybody? - I agree with code 477.9 and not 477.8. I believe 477.8 is for "other specified disorders" rather than "other specified arteries"
    Jessica Martinez, CCS, CPC

  10. #10

    Question

    Why would this be coded 433.10 without stenosis or occlusion being documented? Is there a coding clinic explaining this? Anybody? - I agree with code 477.9 and not 477.8. I believe 477.8 is for "other specified disorders" rather than "other specified arteries"
    Jessica Martinez, CCS, CPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2015, 01:22 PM
  2. Physical Therapy ICD-9, ICD-10, & CPT Coding
    By mthomas-gedig in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2014, 11:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?

Login

Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.