AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Mixed Global Periods

Default Mixed Global Periods

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a provider that typically bills the following codes together for sinus surgery:

The barrier I have with him right now is that 30520 & 30140 each have 90 global days while the sinus surgery codes 31255, 31256, 31276 & 31287 each have 0 global days. My provider is insisting that he can bill an E/M with a -24outside of the global for routine follow-ups with no complications because he is only addressing the sinus surgery portion of the procedure in follow-up. However, he typically bills a debridement of the turbinates on the same day as the "follow=up." The debridement is a planned procedure at the the time of the original procedure - not a complication.

I was my understanding (though I cannot find it published anywhere) that when you perform multiple procedures on the same day with mixed global periods that whatever the highest global is, that is your global period for that day.

Any thoughts???? I'm looking for something in writing to back me up.

Stuart Sailfish Chapter

That is an interesting question, I am going to do some research on that one.
    Candice Fenildo, CPC, CPMA, CPB, CENTC, CPC-I
    AAPC Chapter Association Board of Directors ( Chair)
    Region 6, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio

"Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer"

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 12:19 PM
  2. How to determine global period with 2 procedures/2 different global periods
    By AHVC in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
  3. global periods
    By Sherri Hillard in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 07:59 AM
  4. Global Periods
    By msmurdaugh in forum Dermatology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 04:48 PM
  5. Global Periods