AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Toe Nail Cutting

Loma Linda,CA

Question Toe Nail Cutting

AAPC: Back to School
    I've been in Peds for years but now I am also getting sent Adult coding, can anyone help I have an elderly patient seen for nail care(cutting nails). I have found a CPT code however I cant find an ICD-9 code,there is no other problems with the patient except for being elderly that prevents him from cutting his own nails.Any suggestions

is the patient diabetic? any signs or symptoms that you can use? (onychia?) Any co-morbidities?

The ICD9 code is 703.8 (hypertrophy of the nail) If your patient has Medicare, be aware that there are very specific rules for getting this paid. Being elderly isn't one of them.(Having no foot counts, but not having any hands doesn't!) Educate your physician on what needs to be dictated, and be sure to get an ABN signed.

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 01:29 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM
  3. Toe Nail Removal Anesthesia
    By BevDaugherty in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 07:15 PM
  4. Toe Nail Removal
    By bcarruth in forum Family Practice
    Replies: 3