AAPC - Back to school

Thread: When to properly use -62?

Default When to properly use -62?

AAPC: Back to School
    I am learning how to properly code two of my doctors peripheral codes and one of them always does shared procedures with a particular doctor. I know to use modifier -62 which is for two physicians but would like to know, do I use that modifier on every procedure? Or just the main one? I understand that for S&I codes I would not but need to be sure for the procedures. Thank you! Gail Davis, CPC

Hi Gail,

I'm not sure what procedures you are coding for, but for my specialty, the CPT book sometimes specifies that certain codes ARE NOT supported by -62 (spinal instrumentation). In those cases, on doc can use the code(s) without any modifiers and the "assistant" doc appends -80 to the same codes. So try reading all the fine print in your CPT.

Cheers, Jessica Caldwell, CPC, Tampa FL

Similar Threads

1. Choosing E/M codes properly
    By DevonMelba in forum E/M
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM
  2. How to properly bill 89264?
    By megmom72@gmail.com in forum Pathology & Clinical Laboratory
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 09:11 AM
  3. How do you document 36415 properly?
    By Orthocoderpgu in forum E/M