The level of work/documentation should be driven by medical necessity. While MDM is generally one of the key components used to level a visit it doesn't have to be.
I am not a clinical person. Only a clinical person can determine what is medically necessary. If you feel the providers are padding documentation to get higher levels refer it on to who ever is above them clinically. Explain your concerns and let them review it and make a determination. If they think it is ok, then you are covered. If they agree with you then they need to address this with the providers.
Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join