AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Open fracture resulting from a crush injury

Default Open fracture resulting from a crush injury

AAPC: Back to School
    I recently had a medical record where the patient crushed their finger at work which resulted in an open fracture to the middle finger. I coded the crush injury as the first dx with the open fracture listed second and the open wound as the third code...is that correct? I was told that i should code the fracture first but I disagree with that. Any advice would be very helpful!!!

Default Principle Diagnosis

While selecting principle diagnosis ,As per ICD guidlines- that principle diagnosis should be the circumstances of the admission, the therapy provided, the tabular list or the Alphabetic index indicate otherwise. ( In page #26 of ICD book 2010)

In your scenario the therapy is going to be provided for Fracture only , example fracture care will be given . So my opinion also to code Fracture as primary.
    Please tell us for what reason you are disagree with giving fracture as primary. Still giving cursh injury as a primary diagnosis is not going to be a great error.

Thanks for your response!

To answer you question, I initially was going to code the fracture but when I looked up the code (Page 287 in ICD 2010 and page 281 in ICD 2011) it has a tip listed. It states that if phalangeal fracture(s) are due to crushing injury, sequence that code (927.3) first. Is that not something I should follow? Also BWC on this claim will allow codes 927.3 816.02 and 883.0 and the injury clearly states this to be an open fracture (816.12).

Thanks again!

Default Open fracture resulting from a crush injury

I agree with you , Now only i am looking that guidline in the book . We need to give Crush injury first followed by Phalanx fracture, if the fracture is due to crush injury.

Thanks for updating me