Cryptic in the case of the tonsils refers simply to the tonsillar crypts which are little pit-like depressions in the tonsils. The word "cryptic" comes from the Greek "kryptos" meaning hidden or concealed. Thus, cryptic tonsillitis may be concealed because it is down in the pits (of the tonsil) and may not be causing apparent symptoms.
So, I would code this as 463 unless stated as chronic, in which case would be coded as 474.00.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join