Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: didn't pass CPC exam -What to do now?

Unhappy didn't pass CPC exam -What to do now?

Help! I am rescheduled for 12/18/10 but I do't think I'll be prepared. The problem is I can study and pospone my exam until early next year, I wont have to pay for the exam, since I get one free retake but since I've been employed for nearly two years- I can't afford the 2011 books. Any suggestions?? I feel like such a failure. The test was incrediably difficult. Please help. Also workbook to help me is out of stock-so there goes my luck again!

Breath!!!

Ok, I didn't pass on the first try either. Don't give up ... I just found out that I passed on the second try. Miracles do happen LOL.

First of all I was in DEEP denial because I got really good scores on the CCA, but that's just me. I blamed it on the mechanical pencil, the weather, etc

I bought the online practice tests to help me study, and they worked!

They even tell you how to "cheat" a tiny bit if you read between the lines. (I would tell you, but I'm not sure if they meant to do that)

Also, there is no rule that you have to complete the test in the order that they give it to you. If you have a strong knowledge of one area, do that section first. I did all of the easy questions first LOL, then the ones that didn't look like they would take too long to code. I did the long opp notes last. The only problem with skipping around is that you have to be double sure that you are filling in the line that goes with that numbered question. You don't want to be one line off!!

If you don't pass, no big deal. There are tons of coders out there who never even tried to take the exam. I went to school with a few who have been coding for years, but are just taking the exam now. They were taught how to code on the job, so they didn't think they needed a credential. Now, they want to expand their horizons, so they went to coding school.

Hope that helps. Good luck!!

Hey I feel your pain I just checked my scores and saw that I got a 67%. Do you know what percentage is required to be considered passing?

Question Passing results

To pass is, I believe. 70%...

Since the questions are all multiple choice - my best advice is to eliminate the answers you know are wrong first. Read the questions carefully and select the MOST appropriate response. Don't try to start from scratch on each question by going to the indexes and looking up the codes for the reports. Start by looking up the codes from each of the multiple choice responses.

The practice tests are a good idea. They really do give you a good idea of what areas you need to focus on.

Using these methods I passed the test on the first attempt with an 88%.

Default failed my first cpc exam!!!!!!!

Hello, can someone tell me how to schedule to retake the exam because it is free and they are still charging me for 300.00. Also, I have the certification study guide to use to study for exam and I have the practice questions which I need to go over also. Can anyone else give me some advice as to how to manage the time better. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christinebrownell View Post
    Hello, can someone tell me how to schedule to retake the exam because it is free and they are still charging me for 300.00. Also, I have the certification study guide to use to study for exam and I have the practice questions which I need to go over also. Can anyone else give me some advice as to how to manage the time better. Thanks

To schedule your Free retake you need to be logged into your account. You will then scroll over the My AAPC tab and click on Purchases/Items. On the next page you will click on the Exam tab. When that page opens you will see a link to schedule exam. Click on it and you will not be charged for your new exam.

What I would suggest to help you time yourself better is by going over the online practice exams. You can time yourself on those questions. Try not to spend no more than 2 minutes per question. If you spend more time than that, move on to the next question.

Default Dont give up ..

Dont give up . keep going...

Default Use the opportunity to prepare for next attempt

I taught college for years as well as advanced cardiac life support etc.. Very intensive testing situations. Some students would not pass and be very upset, which is understandable. Talking with these students i encouaged them to review their performance. What part of the testing did they find easy? What part of the testing was hard? Knowing this will help direct your preparation for the next attempt and make success even more likely.

As you are reading through the study guide and find something similar within a group of codes, it may be helpful to draw a vertical line on your CPT, grouping those codes together and make a note of it to help you remember. For example, I have drawn a vertical line from 77326 to 77328 and have written “Brachytherapy Isodose” on the side. It just helps it to pop off the page. I finished on time and passed and I feel this is the trick that helped.

Also, when I sat for the CPC exam earlier this year I underlined, directly on the test itself, any relevant words or phrases as I was reading along. Especially on some of the larger reports, you might consider underlining important information such as: the type of service (new patient/critical care), the patients age or anything that may indicate the use of a modifier, the procedure, location, diagnosis and/or any terms that seem similar (acute/chronic) so you can quickly refer back, to double-check yourself as you are eliminating codes. Just take a few extra pencils and you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast