AAPC - Back to school

Thread: unsigned medical records submission

Default unsigned medical records submission

AAPC: Back to School
    I need to know the law for submission of medical records for in and out of NYS. Handwritten records but some not signed. What recourses do I have for payment and nonpayment of claims?

Louisville, KY

I'd have to further research the "laws" associated with medical record completion. However, Joint Commission and Medicare Conditions of Participation require authentication of records, including the identity of the author. These standards should be employed to "encourage" providers to sign their notes in a timely fashion.

Hope this helps.
    Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

White Plains, NY

I am a payer in NYS. If we do an audit and the record is unsigned, we won't accept it as documentation that the service was done.

I perform internal audits in Ky. and I fail an audit if it is not signed, but I educate my providers about the guidelines and requirements regarding handwriten and electronic signatures . I have also had providers attach an Attestation Sheet to the unsigned progress note. I educate my providers this is an error that does result in money reimbursement/recoupment by any insurance company.

Similar Threads

1. Seeking a position in Medical Coding /Billing or Medical Records
    By brobinson288@gmail.com in forum Resume Postings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2013, 04:58 PM
  2. medical records
    By minbes in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM
  3. Medical records
    By ali1971 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 8