Over 50% Off + FREE Exam with Certification Training | Learn More
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

CPC Exam Scores - Does anyone know what percentage is needed

1. Default CPC Exam Scores - i was supprise
    Medical Coding Books
    i took mine nov 21 i was supprise to have min back so soon but had it on the 25th

Default Passing score
    I really do think it's very important to know the passing score before you take the test rather than after.
    I'm amazed at the number of candidates asking what the score is after they've failed. Knowing the score beforehand is part of the preparation for the test.......isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Default
    no ur right i should have but i didnt so sue me oh wait guess what im not obsorbing any negativity today try again laterrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. ughhhhhhhhhhh some people are such mood killers

I took my exam for the first time on November 20th and passed. The best suggestions I can offer is to familiarize yourself with the coding guidelines in your ICD9 book and be adept at moving through your CPT book. Also use the clues given to eliminate wrong answers, if the patient presented at the ER you know you are looking strictly for an ER code; if the patient ususally sees Dr. A but because he's on vacation they see Dr. B within the same practice you know you can immediately eliminate any new patient codes. Make sure you look up the diagnosis codes also to help narrow down your correct answer. Also if any codes have age limitations (such as a tonsilectomy or adenoidectomy) make sure you select the correct code for your patient's age. If you are given a code selection with a block and a procedure code, review the procedure code to make sure it doesn't include the block. When taking the test go to your strongest areas first, answer those questions and then go back to the others.

Just remember to stay calm, focused, and to read very carefully. The right answer is right in front of you, use a process of elimination to reach the right conclusion.

Okay. can someone please tell me if you really still need 70% on EACH section? OR 70% OVERall grade?

I took a sample test and I had 68% in section 3 but had 78% over all. In the reall CPC exam is that a fail or pass?

thank you for the info. I will take mine in 17 days and I am really REALLY scared.

Also have been looking all over the AAPC website for the things u need like your AAPC ID, Driver's license or other form IDs and things you need to take the exam but I cant find it. Can someone link me please. Thanks.

Default Passing scores
    mekab..... I give up. I've taken more tests in my life than most people and my professors would always start their preparation for our tests by emphasizing the importance of knowing what the passing score is required from the get-go. Not a negative thing.
    Good luck

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by medcoder9 View Post
    Okay. can someone please tell me if you really still need 70% on EACH section? OR 70% OVERall grade?

I took a sample test and I had 68% in section 3 but had 78% over all. In the reall CPC exam is that a fail or pass?

thank you for the info. I will take mine in 17 days and I am really REALLY scared.

Also have been looking all over the AAPC website for the things u need like your AAPC ID, Driver's license or other form IDs and things you need to take the exam but I cant find it. Can someone link me please. Thanks.
    Passing is 70% overall.

What you need to have with you varies by the site at which you will be taking your exam. Contact the proctor for your exam if your are unsure what you need to bring. Generally, you do need a photo ID (driver's license) and your AAPC membership #.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. It helps. I took a sample test and I had 68% in section 3 but had 78% over all. In the real CPC exam is that a fail or pass? So that is a pass right?

Ever since I took that sample test, I was having sleepless nights. But glad my result is a pass. Now I have to practice to take the whole test in time. Because I was over 2 hours with that result. Not good at all.

At the beginning of 2009, the AAPC no longer required a passing score for each section of the test. As long as your overall is above a 70%, you are granted the credential. Being a teacher of medical coding, I do not agree with that. But the rules are what they are.

I would definitely take the practice test again and have a timer nearby. The two most important things about this test (other than a positive attitude) is accuracy and time management. Whenever one of my students takes the test and ends up failing it, it's usually because they did not manage their time well--not because they are bad coders.

If you would like any further case studies or handouts to practice on, let me know. I teach a CPC prep course, and I have all kinds of resources at my disposal. You can email me at angela.rein@sbc-collinsville.com. Good luck!

Angela P. Rein, RMA, AS, BSHM, CPC

10. Default
    I took my free retake on Nov. 6th and I felt positive about it. I finished an hour b4. I had purchased a practice exam and studied it. I sincerely thought this 2nd x was it.....

When I checked 2 see if my results had been posted on here, I saw that I had FAILED!!
    I seriously could not believe it. My heart started racing and my excitement was flushed down the drain. I missed it by 4 pts. 4 pts, I felt horrible when I went back to work. I didn't want to do anything!

I felt like I've let myself down and my daughters down, because this would have changed my life financially. I was hoping and ready to get paid what I deserved. I was excited to not have to worry about how I would pay my bills since I'm the only one working right now. SO SUX! This would have really helped my husband and I. He would have had his chance at going to a tech school and not worry about money cuz we'd be good with one income.

NOW, my 3rd x at taking the CPC exam this weekend, 12-11.... I am hoping to pass this x cuz I really need it. I can't afford to keep paying $300 again!

Lord Jesus, help me pass this CPC exam. You know my heart and my situation. I can't do it alone and without You....