The third occipital nerve (TON) provides the primary innervation to the C2-C3 facet joint. If thermal RF ablation is performed at the C2-C3 joint denervating the TON, it would be "counted" as one facet joint level. The documentation you included did not include procedure description of the C4 & C5 medial branch RF ablation, only the TON procedure twice. IF the documentation does include description of the C4 & C5 medial branch RF ablation, then this would be a second facet joint level.
IF all three nerves (TON, C4 and C5 medial branches) were thermally radiofrequency ablated, then the coding would be 64633-LT x 1 and 64634-LT x 1
IF this procedure was performed in 2016, there is an issue in that the temperature documented was only 70 degrees Celsius and 2016 CPT includes a new parenthetical note specifically for 64633-64636 codes: "Do not report 64633, 64634, 64635, 64636 for non-thermal facet joint denervation including chemical, low-grade thermal energy (< 80 degrees Celsius), or any form of pulsed radiofrequency. To appropriately report any of these modalities, use 64999" SO if performed in 2016, this would be 64999 x 1.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join