I don't think there is much you can do about that. Prolonged Services don't apply to the hospital setting so you can't use them. The only other thought I had is has the hospital considerered an Observation unit? If you are holding patients for multiple days and follow the documentation guidelines for Observation, that might open up using those codes. The issue there is CMS doesn't go for 9 day observation which looks more like boarding. This looks like an issue for hospital administration since there shouldn't be 9 day waits for psychiatric admissions and there is some liablility with having a psych patient in the ED for that long.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join