AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Teaching Rules

Default Teaching Rules

AAPC: Back to School
    Does the teaching physician have to see the patient on the same DOS as the resident/fellow? I had a resident/fellow document in the chart his visit on 11/13. The teaching physician documented his findings in the chart on 11/14. The resident dictated the consult note on 11/13, which was signed by both. The date of service billed is 11/14.
    Can any of the documentation done by the resident/fellow on 11/13 be utilized?
    Thank you,

Burlington MA

I'm having the SAME issue! I just posted on the Modifier thread, I don't feel the GC should be used in this case. Do you agree?

Louisville, KY

I'm not certain you'll find your answer here, but it'll be a good start.

Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

Seth Canterbury, a very knowledgeable person about compliance and coding, posted an article on another coding site, Codapedia. He discusses several thoughts on this concept, but as he says, there are no hard and fast rules addressing this. The excellent article is at this link: http://www.codapedia.com/articlePrint.cfm?id=462
    Jenny Berkshire, CPC, CEMC, CGIC

Thank you very much for the article. It helps alot in how to addressthe issue, even though there is no diffinitive answer.

Similar Threads

1. Teaching Physician Rules??
    By keke74 in forum Emergency Department
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2015, 09:25 AM
  2. Teaching Physician Rules
    By nmundok@gmail.com in forum Medicare Regulations
    Last Post: 07-31-2014, 10:30 AM
  3. Observation and the teaching physician rules
    By charlna in forum Medical Coding General Discussion