Results 1 to 6 of 6

Self Cutting w/no suicidal ideation

  1. Default Self Cutting w/no suicidal ideation
    Exam Training Packages
    I am aware of the E code E956 "Suicide and self-inflicted injury by cutting and piercing instrument"; however, what if the patient is cutting themselves without the intention of suicide? This seems to be a very common scenario these days, but I don't exactly want to attach "suicide" to a patient's chart when they are not in fact "suicidal" per se. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    331
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jmonson View Post
    I am aware of the E code E956 "Suicide and self-inflicted injury by cutting and piercing instrument"; however, what if the patient is cutting themselves without the intention of suicide? This seems to be a very common scenario these days, but I don't exactly want to attach "suicide" to a patient's chart when they are not in fact "suicidal" per se. Any suggestions?
    Definitely don't use the E-code, as you said it specifically states that the patient is not suicidal. Also, E-codes must be used ONLY in addition to a code from one of the main chapters of ICD-9-CM, to indicate the cause. The code selection that you are seeking is for "Self Mutilation". In your index, self mutilation codes to 300.9, which is for unspecified nonpsychotic mental disorder.

    Hope this helps!
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

  3. Default ICD: INJURY CODE+E code (self-inflicted)
    Quote Originally Posted by ohn0disaster View Post
    Definitely don't use the E-code, as you said it specifically states that the patient is not suicidal. Also, E-codes must be used ONLY in addition to a code from one of the main chapters of ICD-9-CM, to indicate the cause. The code selection that you are seeking is for "Self Mutilation". In your index, self mutilation codes to 300.9, which is for unspecified nonpsychotic mental disorder.

    Hope this helps!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The CODE E956 IS CORRECT.
    Please go through the below specified explanation.

    Please read the conventions for the ICD 9 CM Section 1.
    7. "And"
    The word "and" should be interpreted to mean eiher "and" or "or" when it appears in a title.
    Applying the convention
    The tiltle reads E956 Suicide "and" self-inflicting injury by cutting and piercing instruments.

    Referring to E code use for Self inficted injury
    Pls go through 19. Ecode guideline.It reads:

    Ecode captures the "intent"
    1. Suicide or Self inficted injury
    2. for purposely inflicted injury.......

    I'll assign ICD injury code from INJURY chapter + "intention" captured in the ECODE. &
    I'd verify the priors to confirm Physician dx'ed mental disorder if "ANY"

    I'd disgree assigning 300.9 Psychoneurosis, as it cannot be dx'ed /assigned by the coder Without Physicians documentation of the DX
    Though Self-harm (SH) or deliberate self-harm (DSH) includes self-injury (SI) and self-poisoning and is defined as the intentional, direct injuring of body tissue without suicidal intent refers to self mutilation, the code is for Psychoneurosis. Per guideline, should NOT be assigned by the coder without Physicians' dagnosis.



    Thanks
    Last edited by msrd_081002; 12-21-2010 at 02:59 AM.

  4. #4
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    12,570
    Default
    I agree E956 is the correct E code, however it cannot be the first -listed dx, there must be a different code, If this is the acute encounter then, use a wound code first. However if this is a counseling encounter then you will need to look and see if the provider has documented a psych dx or if you should use a V code for the couseling with the E code.

    Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

  5. #5
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    331
    Default
    After reviewing the E-code, as I never did in the first place, I also agree the the E-code is correct to use. I'm unsure as to the content of patient encounter so I'm honestly not sure whether my initial code selection holds true. I'm not sure why I was so quick to choose the dx that I originally suggested without further documentation clarification.

    Anyway, if the patient came in and doctor documents the patient as a 'self cutter', that is a mental disorder called Self Mutilation aka Self Harm, Deliberate Self Harm, and Self Injury. This falls under the code that I intially posted. However, if the patient comes in to see doctor with a cut, obviously my initial code selection does not hold true.

    Again, I apologize for being so quick as to post a response without being clear on the situation. We're all entitled a 'duh' moment, no?! ;p

    EDIT:
    Also, I wanted to add that I have heard that when we switch to ICD-10, there will be specific codes for these behaviors. So that will eliminate the hesitancy to tack on a mental disorder code for self cutters, which is good since it's pretty common among teens and young adults these days. From what I've seen, self cutting is something that a lot of people "grow out of", which I find somewhat strange but I digress.
    Last edited by ohn0disaster; 12-21-2010 at 10:44 AM.
    Vanessa Mier, CPC

  6. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    I agree E956 is the correct E code, however it cannot be the first -listed dx, there must be a different code, If this is the acute encounter then, use a wound code first. However if this is a counseling encounter then you will need to look and see if the provider has documented a psych dx or if you should use a V code for the couseling with the E code.
    Please read my post. I was just explaining about the ECODE use/guidelines.
    I've NOT mentioned to use it as PDX.
    I've clearly mentioned
    "I'll assign ICD injury code from INJURY chapter "+" "intention" captured in the ECODE. &
    I'd verify the priors to confirm Physician dx'ed mental disorder if "ANY"

    Thanks.
    Last edited by msrd_081002; 12-21-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Suicidal Ideation
    By gdonna in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-13-2015, 08:51 AM
  2. V62.84 Suicidal Ideation
    By suzyrene in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-19-2014, 02:50 PM
  3. ICD-10 excludes 1 note for Suicidal Ideation
    By bridgettemartin in forum ICD-10
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2014, 01:19 PM
  4. Coding Depression unspecified with suicidal ideation
    By timbischoff in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
  5. DM with Suicidal Ideation
    By ruthan in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 07:07 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?

Login

Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.