Thread: Twins

Default Twins

Promo: Code Books
    Need a little help on this;

Twins, baby "A: born vaginally, baby "B" malpositioned and C-section.

DX = 652.61 Malposition
    651.01 Vaginal delivery
    669.71 C-Section
    V27.2 Outcome of delivery

CPT codes 59409 Vaginal (delivery only)
    59510 C-section (global)
    58611 Bilateral tubal ligation done at same time of C-section

Am I even close on this one ? - Any help is greatly appreciated !

Thumbs up

Looks pretty close to me. I don't think you need 669.71 since the 652.61 indicates the reason for the c/s. I would code:
    59510 652.61, V27.2
    59409-59 651.01, V27.2
    58611 V25.2
    Last edited by Lisa Bledsoe; 12-01-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added tubal coding
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

Smile Twin - Delivery Codes Answer

Hi,

Your CPT codes are correct, but I would suggest coding it this way. I am a OB/GYN coder and am thinking about reimbursement also when I give these suggestions.

CPT code 59510 (C/S global) Dx code : 1st 651.01, 2nd 652.61 (Read the op report to see if you can get addtional details about what type of malpresentation, and you can then code it as ie: breech or compound presentation) I would not use the 669.71 this code is normally used for a C/S without information as to why it was done or if it was a patient choice C/S. The indication is mentioned by the malpresentation, so this code would not be appropriate. Per ACOG it is appropriate to use the C/S as the "global" OB code due to higher reimbursement rates when delivery is involving both a vag delivery and C/S of twins.

CPT code 59409-51 (Vag delivery) Dx code : 1st 651.01, and you need to read the Labor & delivery report from the hospital to see if any other codes would be appropriate also to code : ie: lacerations or fetal distress. You need to put the 51 modifier on the vag delivery code, since multiple procedures.

CPT code 58611 is for the tubal during C/S. This is an add on code and needs no modifier. List this code last due to the low RVU's for reimbursement. Dx code : V25.2

I hope this helps, if you need any additional help in the future please contact me at tmcgess@yahoo.com, I'd be happy to help with any OB/GYN coding you need help with.

Tia