Cindy Hughes CPC
Cindy Hughes is the AAFPâ€™s coding and compliance specialist and is a contributing editor to Family Practice Management.
Tobacco cessation codes
Q What do I need to do to get paid for smoking and tobacco cessation education using codes 99406 and 99407? What are the documentation requirements?
A Codes 99406 and 99407 replaced G0375 and G0376, which previously were used to report these services. You must document the following:
â€˘ The patientâ€™s tobacco use;
â€˘ The patientâ€™s conditions adversely affected by tobacco use or the therapeutic agent affected by tobacco use;
â€˘ The amount of time spent on tobacco cessation counseling and the context in which it was provided.
The code should be selected based on the amount of time devoted to the counseling; use 99406 for 3 to 10 minutes or 99407 for more than 10 minutes
You may want to take at look on page 30, also~
I hope this was enough information.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join