This was addressed in the November Hospitalist magazine. Provided the Hospitalist and the family Physician are not part of the same group, each Physician seeing the patient for the first time can use the codes 99218-99220, as these codes are for initial hospital care. I don't know about using a modifier for reduced service, but the AI modifier should be used, by whichever Physician is denoted as principal Physician of record, for Medicare and other carriers who have discontinued using consultation codes.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join