If the emergency dept. physician requests that another physician evaluate a given patient, the consulting physician should bill an emergency department visit code (99281-99285). If the patient is admitted to the hospital by the consulting physician performing the evaluation, he or she should bill an initial hospital care code and not an emergency department visit code (99221-99223 and appending the AI modifier). As for your question regarding observation codes.. A patient is considered an outpatient until admission to a health care facility occurs. Therefore depending on the documentation i would code either 99221-99223 or new or established coded 99201-99205; 99212 to 99215 code set...
hope this helps,
Cheryl Anderson, LPN, CPC, CEMC,
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join