20550 is for single tendon sheath or ligament according to its descriptor.
Sounds like the block would be around the ligament. You have cervical level C6-C7, and C7 T1 Which ligaments at this location were injected, in order to bill 2 units the procedure note should document which separate ligaments were being blocked. Codes 20550-20553 is also mentioned for facet injections without imaging.
Also in the descriptor for 20550 it states injection(s) as plural for a single tendon sheath or ligament, this point is emphasizing that if multiple injections of the same tendon sheath or ligament are performed 20550 would only be reported once. Typically 20550 is reported more than once when it is performed bilateral extermities or the documentation supports separate tendon sheath or ligaments being injected with separate names of the structures within the procedure note to support that it was not multiple injections of a single tendon sheath/ ligament.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join