AAPC - August DL Sale: 50% OFF

Thread: Simple Foreign Body Removal?

Default Simple Foreign Body Removal?

I have a case where a provider had to remove a ring from a pregnant patient's finger using forceps and hemostat. Can this be coded as a foreign body removal?

Thanks,

Amy

Most of the foreign body removals require an incision and unless they made an incision then you can't code it. I haven't been able to find one without and incision , because we remove fish hooks a lot and I can't charge for it. So if you find one I would like to know as well.

Jessica Harrell, CPC

My practice also has an urgent care center. We have seen this many times. But as many of you know, I am one that has to see proof. I copied this from the AAFP website.

Ring removal

Q I work in an urgent care center and occasionally see a patient who needs a ring removed either because of a finger injury that causes enough swelling to place the vasculature at risk or because he or she realizes the ring is simply stuck. What CPT code should I submit for this?

A There is no CPT code for the types of ring removal you describe. In those cases, the procedure would be included in the E/M service that you otherwise provide to the patient. However, if a ring has to be excised from the skin, you could submit a code for foreign body removal, such as 10121, "Incision and removal of foreign body, subcutaneous tissues; complicated." And if you perform a significant, separately identifiable E/M service in addition to this type of ring excision, you should also submit the appropriate E/M code with a -25 modifier.

Oops-I forgot the website address:

www.aafp.org/fpm/20030300/coding.html
    Last edited by RebeccaWoodward*; 05-23-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added website

Thanks. We do a lot of fish hook removals as well, and I do code a foreign body removal on those because there is actually a wound. Any one else have any thoughts on this subject?

Amy

Default FB

Is the wound caused by the hook removal, or is the wound caused by an "incision" the provider made?

As far as I know, if the skin was not broken by the provider, then you cannot charge for an Incision and removal.

David

As this thread is almost 2 years old, and I no longer work at that particular facility, I have no idea. But I do now agree that the provider must make some sort of incision. Thanks for all the responses. :=)

Amy

Default Removal of Body Jewelry

Would anyone have a suggestion on a CPT code for the removal of a "wrist piercing". There was no incision so 10120 would not apply. I cannot seem to find just a removal of foreign body without the incision?

there is a coding clinic for ring stuck on finger, no cpt code for cutting off a ring...
    Pat A. Trautner, CCS/CPC/CEDC/CHONC