Dawson, we asked this very same of the AMA at the Chicago CPT convention in November and were told much the same answer as you (NP, PA). The AMA commented that there would be further clarification in future CPT Assistant bulletins early next year.
However, the AAP. in their November coding newsletter gives the definition as "nonphysicians if allowed under state scope of practice." The same article also gives an example of 90460 not being appropriate when performed by a nurse "unless the particular state's scope of practice laws includes nurses within the definition of 'other qualified health care professionals'."
Not much help, I know, but I guess the first place to look is your state's scope of practice regs.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join