AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Family History

Default Family History

AAPC: Back to School
    I know that I have read this somewhere but can't think of where. A doctor is dictating his H&P for the initial hosptial care 99222 and states the family history as non-contributory or unremarkable. I do not count this as there should always have some family history. Is this correct? any help with this is appreciated. Lynn

When the terms "non-contributory" or "negative" are used in PFSH documentation, the documentation might indicate "Past medical history is non-contributory" or "Social history is non-contributory." Such documentation would not indicate the provider had actually addressed the issues. It must be clear that the PFSH was discussed with the patient. To use the term "non-contributory" alone does not clearly indicate PFSH was addressed.

I hope this helps

Ivonne C., CPMA

yes, when a DR only states that, it cannot count.

Thanks everyone. I found the information I had read after posting this and now feel like a real goof. You know sometimes you read so much stuff and then it all gets jumbled and let's face it: I'm old and have cataracts!!! That's my story and I am sticking to it. Lynn

Similar Threads

1. Family history - I was wondering if someone could point me
    By audrabullard@ymail.com in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 10:27 AM
  2. Family History vs Personal History as Primary
    By Janelle926 in forum Gastroenterology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 03:53 PM
  3. Can I use this for Family history?
    By 1073358 in forum E/M
    Replies: 9