Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Colonoscopy with EGD - I may have an answer

Default Colonoscopy with EGD - I may have an answer
    Exam Training Packages
    I may have an answer on this, but would like to confirm my answers. The Scenario: Colonoscopy snare polypectomy in the ascending colon, then a biopsy in the sigmoid colon. Also, a Diagnostic EGD. All same physician, same session. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by fredcpc View Post
    I may have an answer on this, but would like to confirm my answers. The Scenario: Colonoscopy snare polypectomy in the ascending colon, then a biopsy in the sigmoid colon. Also, a Diagnostic EGD. All same physician, same session. Any thoughts?
    45385 (Code to the furthest extent of the procedure)
    43235/59

Correct?

Smile Colonoscopy with EGD
    Thank you. I like your solution, and it may get a quicker payment. But the C-scopy snare is in the ascending colon and the biopsy is in the sigmoid colon. Separate parts of the colon. Then add the EGD. So....

45380-59
    43235-51

Any thoughts?

Question
    I'm not sure that the location of the biopsies and polyps matters as much as the method - the code I mentioned is only for snare technique, so if the biopsy wasn't taken that way, then my first answer won't work...and now I'm not around my codebooks, so I can't offer much else on the subject at the moment...

Default Colonoscopy with EGD
    Thanks for the input.

6. Default
    All EGD's are diagnostic. Only colonoscopies can be done as a screening. Just some info. Hope it helps.

Default Colonoscopy, Medicare, G0121
    You are right. The EGD was diagnostic. I feel that has to be coded in addition to the Colonoscopy. Do you agree?

They have different approaches, so there's no reason they can't both be billed.

If the biopsy was done with seperate technique and on a seperate lesion then the apporopriate coding would be as follows:

45380-59
    43235-51

Smile Colonoscopy with EGD
    Thank you for your and confirmation. I had the same codes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast