AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Displaying of doctors license

Question Displaying of doctors license

AAPC: Back to School
    Is it mandatory that the provider license be displayed somewhere in the office?

I can't find anything that is saying it is required but I'm pretty sure it is. We are in Michigan.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

I have never heard such a requirement. What if the doctor doesn't have an office? Hospital based doctors, er docs, etc...

Of course individual states can have all kinds of crazy little laws and this would be a state law.

Default It is required in Michigan...

This is the response we got from our attorney if anyone is interested.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

I have reviewed Article 15 of the Public Health Code (Occupations) 333.1601 et seq., and the Administrative Rules for the Board of Medicine and the Board of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery to answer the following question:

Whether it is mandatory for a physician to display his/her license in his/her office? Answer: Yes

I provide the following comments:

• Section 333.16191 "Certificate of Licensure; Issuance; display; care to be available for inspection; displaying statement of limitation" requires in part, that a "licensee or registrant display his or her current certificate of licensure or registration prominently and where visible to the public in the licensee's or registrant's principle place of business, if any." (Sec. 16191(2).
    • Further, the Board of Medicine, Administrative Rule 338.2303, Rule 2 " Name of practitioner; display of name; changed of address" requires that " a person shall conspicuously display the name under which he/she is licensed by the board at each facility where he he/she regularly engages in the practice of medicine; and shall conspicuously display his/her certificate of renewal in his/her principle place of medical practice." (Rule 2 (2) and (3)).
    • Please note that there is no corresponding language under the Administrative Rules for Board of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery.
    • "Licensee" is defined as follows: "as used in the part that regulates a specific health profession , means an individual to whom a license is issued under that part, and as used in this part means each licensee regulated by this article." 333.16106(3).