AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Billing supplies used with open wound repair

Default Billing supplies used with open wound repair

AAPC: Back to School
    Billing Dept. for my Urgent Care has just told me to start billing for the surgical trays and dressings used when my office does a laceration repair (typical repair code would be 12002). I thought that this was included in the procedure code and you could only bill for additional supplies if you went over and above the usual amount. I told them this but they still want me to bill it. Am I wrong?

Lubbock, TX

You can bill for trays, but dressings I'm not so sure of. "Over and above those usually included with the procedure" means you can't bill for things like dermabond for laceration repairs, or a scalpel for removing a skin tag. If the supply is an absolute necessity to performing the procedure, it's included. Just a warning, though - most of the supplies we bill for deny, anyways - check with the payer for their coverage criteria. They tend to be a little more strict in their definitions than the CPT.

Default Must supplies be noted in the office notes

Must all supplies billed be noted in the pt. chart before they can be billed.

Lubbock, TX

I wouldn't bill anything that's not documented. Even a small note indicating that it was used should suffice.

Similar Threads

1. Complex wound repair of open fracture
    By CJames72 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 11:45 AM
  2. Open wound/laceration repair with a tendon repair
    By twosmek in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
  3. Hospitals billing for Open but Unused supplies and implants
    By MRKOCUREK in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 2