AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Post-op Problems

Question Post-op Problems

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a doctor that dictated in his notes that the patient wasn't to return for two weeks to have stitches removed. The global was ten days on the surgery. The patient was told that the post-op visit would be no charge and now, the doctor is insisting on charging. What is right here?

Johnson City

Removing stitches is included in the post op care. Technically it was outside of the global period, but I would still consider removing the stitches as post op care.

Melissa Jewett, CPC

I would have to agree with Melissa. Even though the suture removal was outside the global period, the patient was told that the post op care would be no charge. Besides, how much work is involve with suture removal anyway. I would also consider it a patient satisfaction factor. It's not their fault the appointment was scheduled outside of the global period.

Default Suture Removal

Medical Economics has a great article dealing with this

I'm with the others - removing sutures is standard postop care, whether w/in the global or no. And it would look VERY bad to the patient if the doc tells them to come back for suture removal after the global expires & then charges them for it.
    C.Martin, CPC-GENSG

Similar Threads

1. annual with /without problems
    By swiedner7 in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 03:40 PM
  2. ongoing problems
    By Loleina00 in forum Medicare Regulations
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2015, 08:27 PM
  3. No of Problems
    By CJames72 in forum E/M