Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New Annual Wellness Visit

Exam Training Packages
    Quote Originally Posted by FEU9524 View Post
    I downloaded the CMS manual that details the differences between the IPPE and AWV, however it doesn't clearly indicate the the EKG is a component of the AWV, G0438. Could someone get back to me on this?

Thanks!
    Wendy Lambert, CPC
    The correct cpt code you are looking for is G0439, not G0438 that code is for the AWV only.
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

Quote Originally Posted by dballard2004 View Post
    Thanks Rebecca!

What happens if during the AWV, you perform a complete physicial on the patient similar to the well man physical where there are no complaints? You could report the G code for the AWV for the components of this that you performed, but how would you report the E/M physicial if Medicare does not cover the preventative medicine codes? There are no complaints here.
    Hi Dawson:

You would report the E/M physicial as you normally would using the 9938_ - 99397. Regardless if Medicare covers it or not.I'd also have the patient sign a ABN/waiver. If the patient has 2ndary coverage ( I"ve seen a select few pay) bill it to them w/ the EOMB.
    Last edited by rthames052006; 08-10-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: adding addditional comments
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

When looking at the CCI's, it appears the 93000 edit was added and deleted on 7/1/11.
    Dawnelle Beall, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I
    Licensed AAPC PMCC Instructor
    AAPC ICD-10CM Certified Trainer
    Previous AAPC Local Chapter President & VP

What if the EKG was not done as a screening? My Dr. performed a separately identifiable E/M service, did the EKG for HTN and an aortic aneurysm, gave a flu injection and did the G0402. Do I have to bill the EKG as a G0403 just because it was done on the same day, even though it wasn't part of the screening?

Thanks,
    Teresa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12