AAPC - Back to school

Thread: How do you determine if an assistant is allowed?

Default How do you determine if an assistant is allowed?

AAPC: Back to School
    I know CMS has guidelines which state if an assist is allowed, sometimes allowed or not allowed. Is there another source I can use for my physicians who say "This isn't a medicare patient so bill an assistant." 95% of the time the assist is denied and we have to file a pointless appeal.

If you know of a resource other than CMS, please let me know.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Long Beach.

If you have your RVU file from the Federal Register, you should look at column AA. If you see a number 2 listed in this column, an assistant is allowed.

Default Assist Guidelines

Most Insurance companies follow NCCI guidelines on Assists. They also publish the policy. I would call your provider rep if you can't find it on thier webiste.

Hope that helps

Default Good Morning

Just to let you know where I work we use Encoder Pro and it is a wonderful tool for coders. Not only does it list if an assistant can be use with a cpt code, it also gives rules and regulations from medicare and other helpful hints with your coding.

Similar Threads

1. Not giving up yet, still very determine.
    By Kia3137@att.net in forum Employment General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 05:56 PM
  2. Assistant Surgeon not allowed
    By AMADDOX in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 12:10 PM
  3. determine level of HPI--need help
    By jvalntine in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 11:27 AM
  4. Assistant Surgeon Allowed