59812 vs 59820
You should use 59812 (Treatment of incomplete abortion, any trimester, completed surgically) for the surgical removal of an incomplete spontaneous abortion. The method can be either a D&C (dilation and curettage) or a D&E (dilation and evacuation). The patient was already aborting the fetus, but not all of the products were expelled, so the physician had to remove them surgically.
You should use 59820 (Treatment of missed abortion, completed surgically; first trimester) for the surgical removal of a missed abortion - meaning the fetus died in utero and the ob-gyn decided to remove it surgically.
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Code Lookup with AAPC Coder
- Coding Data Files
- ICD-9 to ICD-10 Code Converter (FREE)
- Other ICD-10 Codes / Resources
- CPT Codes
- HCPCS Codes
- E/M Analyzer (FREE)
- CPT RVU Calculator (FREE)
- Risk Adjustment Search (FREE)
- PQRS Measure Search (FREE)
- Health Plan / Provider Policy Search (FREE)
- MACRA Calculator
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join