AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Perc. repair Achilles tendon w/PRP

Default Perc. repair Achilles tendon w/PRP

AAPC: Back to School
    I don't actually see a "repair" here, only PRP...am I missing something? Wondering if I can bill this as a tenotomy because he barbotaged the tendon (27606) or if I am just stuck with 0232T?

The patient was positioned supine and sterilely prepped and draped after application of non-sterile tourniquet. Time out was then used to confirm the correct side, site, and procedure. At this point the patient had 10 mL of blood drawn. This was spun down on the centrifuge. At this time, the patient then had an 18 gauge spinal needle introduced into the tendon from medial approach. This was used to barbotage the tendon, and then subsequently to inject 4mL of PRP into the body of the tendon distally, approximately 1 cm from the insertion. At this time the patient's wound was then covered and sterilely dressed, and the drapes were taken down. LMA was removed and the patient was them awakened and taken to recovery in stable, satisfactory condition.

Kara Hawes, CPC

Columbus, OH

Which body part are we talking about?
    Kathy Daniel, CPC, COSC

The Achilles tendon insertion...the doc wanted to bill percutaneous repair of Achilles, but I'm thinking it's actually just 0232T. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Kara Hawes, CPC

Columbus, OH

Wikipedia: Barbotage is a medical procedure that involves the repeated injection and aspiration of a fluid.

20605 & 0232T?

27899 (unlisted procedure, leg or ankle) & 0232T?
    Kathy Daniel, CPC, COSC