AAPC - Back to school

Thread: CPT help for new coder

Default CPT help for new coder

AAPC: Back to School
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

operation: cystoscopy, cold knife urethrotomy and TUR of the prostate and bladder neck.

Procedure: The bladder neck was somewhat occluded by recent dilatation and blood clot formation. Using a cold knife urethrotome, the bladder neck was incised and opened to at least a 25-French. The rest of the bladder neck was dilated to 28-French with Van Buren sounds.
    A 26-French continous flow resectoscope sheath was placed into the bladder. Transurethral resection of the bladder neck and ther residual prostate was carried out creating a nice opened pear-shaped fossa, preserviang gthe vernumontanum, esternal sphincter and ureteral orifices. All chips were evacuated with the Ellik evacuator and a 22 three-way catheter with a 30 mL balloon was placed.

I just passed my CPC last month. Don't know if I can help. Take a look at 52214,52630
    Good luck!

Does the patient have a prior history of prostate surgery? Your note mentioned residual prostate so that makes me ask the question. As far as the urethrotomy, I believe those are included in all the prostate codes in the 52601 section (I don't have my book with me so I cannot check on this for certain).

Similar Threads

1. new coder - Can anyone please tell me
    By ggparker14 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM
  2. new coder needs help with CPT(s)
    By ggparker14 in forum Emergency Department
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM
  3. new coder needs help - What CPT to use
    By ggparker14 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1