I have read several articles that state that if a physician uses packing in an incision and drainage, you would code it as 10061. The Desk Reference even states that if packing is used to code 10061. After reading all of this material, it seems that the reason for coding 10061 is because the abscess needed packing or there were multiple abscess. I did receive an error on an audit because I coded an abscess with I&D with packing as 10061. Can anyone tell me where I might find detalied information on this code.
Gina Warner, CPC, CPC-P
- Medical Coding
- Medical Billing
- Practice Management
- Exam Preparation
- Other Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Virtual Coding Experience (Practicode)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Log In / Join