AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Prolonged Physician Service w/o direct patient contact.

Cool Prolonged Physician Service w/o direct patient contact.

AAPC: Back to School
    We are going to begin giving a new drug (FDA approved) to our patients. One of the requirements is that when the patient takes the medication they are to be monitored for 6 hours for signs and symptoms of bradycardia. The only codes I can find to use is 99358 and 99359 (Prolonged physician service without direct (face to face) patient contact. My question is that since these are time codes do I use the same documentation as the time codes and is there a reference for these guidelines?

Everett, WA

Just my thoughts, and by no means an authoritative answer: During that time of monitoring for 6 hours, if doctor can document that during the 6 hr course of treatment that his personal attention to the patient equated to more than 30 minutes above the usual designated EM code, he might be able to capture the Prolonged Service utilizing the "face-to-face" visit codes of +99354-93555 in the outpatient setting. Hopefully, someone more experienced will jump in to answer? ---Suzanne E. Byrum, CPC

Similar Threads

1. without direct fact to face with patient
    By kathyle in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2015, 08:49 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 09:06 AM
  3. Prolonged Physician Service w/o Direct Contact
    By coderguy1939 in forum E/M
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM