E/M and fracture care code

Default E/M and fracture care code
    Medical Coding Books
    One of my physicians is stating a new patient E/M code is not appropriate to bill with a fracture care code. I have always heard they are billable together w/modifier 57 on E/M code. What is the rule? thx
    EG

It is billiable - Some insurances may not pay for an E&M on the same day as a procedure. Modifier -57 states "An E&M service that resulted in the initial decision to perform the surgery may be identified by adding -57 to the appropriate level of E&M service". Hope this helps!
    Last edited by aklein; 01-10-2011 at 01:27 PM.

3. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by eguest View Post
    One of my physicians is stating a new patient E/M code is not appropriate to bill with a fracture care code. I have always heard they are billable together w/modifier 57 on E/M code. What is the rule? thx
    EG
    Yes it is billable, and yes, you add 57 mod on the E/M code with any procedure code that carries a 90 day global. So in this case a fracture care code, which all fx care codes that I know of carry a 90 day global period.

Just be sure your documentation supports the E&M code and the fx code. Also some payers want a 25 even though the fx code carries a 90 day global. You know how those crazy payer rules are sometimes.

Similar Threads

1. Follow Up Fracture Care of Finger Code??
    By elizabeth24 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2015, 09:50 AM
  2. When to code for Global Fracture Care
    By flogale2 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2015, 11:16 AM
  3. Fracture Care Code
    By eguest in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM
  4. Fracture care code question