Are trigger point injection codes based on the number of injections administered?
From a CPT coding perspective, when coding trigger point injections, the CPT codes 20552 Injection(s); single or multiple trigger point(s), one or two muscle(s) and 20553 Injection(s); single or multiple trigger point(s), three or more muscle(s) are based on the number of muscles injected, not the number of injections administered.
If the documentation supports that 1-2 muscles were injected use 20552. If the documentation supports that 3 or more separate muscles were injected use 20553.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join