Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

CPCO Exam

Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by joearmc View Post
    Good Luck Brandi!
    Thanks! It was harder than I expected, but I feel pretty good about how I did. (We'll see sometime this week though...there's no telling for sure!) I actually took the entire 5 hours & 40 minutes, and I've never done that before - Something I hadn't considered, was that, even when questions on the coding tests (CPC, CPMA, etc.) are REALLY hard, most of the answers can still be found, if you know where to look.

But with this test, you pretty much either know it, or you don't. My resources were helpful for a lot of the test, but definitely not for all of it. Also, the answer choices were really tricky on some - I had a hard time telling if they were supposed to be trick questions, or not.

For example, it would give a choice between several items from a list (like, a list of 'Compliance plan elements' - that wasn't really it, but it works to illustrate the point...) - and ask which one was really part of that list...Then on 2 of the choices, they would list real elements, verbatem, but out of one of those, they'd add a small phrase to the end of it. It was very confusing.

I spent a lot of time on questions that I should have been able to answer easily, because I was being neurotic about the wording of the answer choices. Anyways - the point is, it's not a test I'd recommend taking lightly, just because there's no coding questions on it - if you're not prepared, you'll have a hard time passing it. I'll let you know how it goes!

Good luck! I did hear the exam is hard and the wording is a little confusing. What referencedid you use?

Quote Originally Posted by mjuanes View Post
    Good luck! I did hear the exam is hard and the wording is a little confusing. What referencedid you use?
    The majority of them came off of this website: http://oig.hhs.gov/compliance/compli...ance/index.asp

By far, the most useful was the Compliance Guidance for Individual and Small Group Practices.

You can bring almost anything that you want, but resources' benefits are in the eye of the beholder, so only you can decide what information you'll need to have on you, and what you well enough to leave behind. My advice: Don't take so much that you'll have a hard time locating any information in all of it. You need to know the answers on as much of the material as possible, without having to reference anything.

As I mentioned, it's not like coding tests, where the majority of the time, you can find the answer if you just keep digging; you really need to know what information you have, and what you don't have, ahead of time. If you've got too much, you may have a hard time remembering whether you've got a reference on a specific topic or not, and you'll spend a lot of time trying to find something that's not there. I made a table of contents/index for each reference I brought, which was helpful.

ok, thanks for the tip. Good luck on your test results.

Default I passed!!!
    Woo-hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by btadlock1 View Post
    Woo-hoo!
    That's awesome Brandi!! Way to go!
    Rebecca CPC, CPMA, CEMC

Your click COUNTS...

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/c...faces?siteId=2

CLICK to give FREE mammograms!

Congrats! Great job. Hard work pays off!

Woo-hoo!
    Nice!
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

Thanks! It was harder than I expected, but I feel pretty good about how I did. (We'll see sometime this week though...there's no telling for sure!) I actually took the entire 5 hours & 40 minutes, and I've never done that before - Something I hadn't considered, was that, even when questions on the coding tests (CPC, CPMA, etc.) are REALLY hard, most of the answers can still be found, if you know where to look.

But with this test, you pretty much either know it, or you don't. My resources were helpful for a lot of the test, but definitely not for all of it. Also, the answer choices were really tricky on some - I had a hard time telling if they were supposed to be trick questions, or not.

For example, it would give a choice between several items from a list (like, a list of 'Compliance plan elements' - that wasn't really it, but it works to illustrate the point...) - and ask which one was really part of that list...Then on 2 of the choices, they would list real elements, verbatem, but out of one of those, they'd add a small phrase to the end of it. It was very confusing.

I spent a lot of time on questions that I should have been able to answer easily, because I was being neurotic about the wording of the answer choices. Anyways - the point is, it's not a test I'd recommend taking lightly, just because there's no coding questions on it - if you're not prepared, you'll have a hard time passing it. I'll let you know how it goes!
    I agree... with was the extra wording that was tricky... and yes, most of it, you have to know it... other then the OIG Compliance Guidance for Individual and Small Groups, I found that one to be helpful on several of the questions. Congrats!

Get the Study guide and take the on line exam. I agree the exam is hard, but most answers can be found the the federal register guidelines for small practices, hopsital and thrid party payers. Make sure you look over the material they have recommended but you will not be able to look through all of it when taking your exam. Hope this helps. If I can help you in anyway please do not hesitate to contact me and good luck to all.
    CONGRATS!!! BRANDI. I also agree with Brandi that most of it you either know or you don't.
    Last edited by JudyW; 12-17-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    Judy Wilson, CPC,COC,CPCO,CPPM,CPB,CPC-P,CPC-I,CANPC,AAPC FELLOW,CMRS

Past AAPC-CA BOD 2010 - 2013 & 2015 - 2017

judy@anes.hrcoxmail.com

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!
    -Audrey Hepburn

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast